Located in the heart of England, The Gliding Centre has many interesting local sites and attractions.
The airfield is located approximately 6 miles (~ 10km) by road East of Junction 20 of the M1.
Go to Husbands Bosworth village and follow the signs to “The Gliding Centre”.
Enter the airfield, follow the peri-track to the clubhouse and park.
In the Reception area you’ll find our helpful office team who will meet and greet you.
Family and friends of VGC members are of course welcome at the Rendezvous. For the non-flyer, there are many local attractions within easy reach.
Some of the attractions within half an hour’s drive of the airfield are:
- Foxton Locks – Home to two amazing feats of engineering in the heart of Leicestershire, on the Grand Union Canal. As well as the longest and steepest staircase locks in the UK, the site is home to the remains of the inclined plane, a magnificent piece of Victorian engineering.
- Stanford Hall – Where Percy Pilcher’s glider replica resides
- Kelmarsh Hall – Built in the 1730s, The hall was the beloved home to three families across two hundred and fifty years. Surrounding the hall are historic gardens, restored to evoke their early 20th century designs, with a unique walled garden at the heart.
- Wistow Maze – Explore one of the country’s largest maize mazes, set in 8 acres of living maize and sunflower crop. It’s great exercise.
- Naseby Battlefield site – The Battle of Naseby was a decisive engagement of the English Civil War, fought on 14 June 1645 between the main Royalist army of King Charles I and the Parliamentarian New Model Army, commanded by Sir Thomas Fairfax and Oliver Cromwell.
- The National Space Centre – is a museum and educational resource covering the fields of space science and astronomy, along with a space research programme. It is located on the north side the city of Leicester.
- Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome is home to the Cold War Jet Collection including a Victor, Hunter and many more aircraft. Open every Sunday.
Local shopping areas include:
Market Harborough – https://www.marketharborough.com/
Fosse Park – http://fosseshoppingpark.co.uk/
Highcross – https://www.highcrossleicester.com/
There are also excellent local websites that detail local attractions in the Market Harborough and Lutterworth areas. The club has leaflets too.
Further afield there are two auto racing tracks. One at Silverstone (home of the British F1 Grand Prix) where there is a new “Silverstone Experience” opening in June. See here, Web Link
Santa Pod Drag Strip has a BMW day on July 21st. See here, Web Link